Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Crumbs of compassion

So, Lee Hsien Loong decided that his peasants can protest, but only at a certain park. And that they can make political films, but with some restriction.

Just when we in Young Pay-And-Pay are rejoicing at finally being able to boast to those peasants with how open our PM is, I stumbled upon this quote:

"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights."
- Bishop Desmond Tutu


Damn. Of the 3 million sinkies on this Island, I hope I am the only one who have heard of this quote!

And I most certainly hope none has heard what J.B. Jeyaratnam said:

" The Prime Minister is hoping that Singaporeans will go on their bended knees to thank him for these concessions. He seems to forget that the right to make political films or the right to hold demonstrations are part and parcel of human rights. It's not a question of favours being asked from the Government. It's a question of our rights"

No comments: